Carmine Appice Gets A Little Help From His All-Star Friends
Author, clinician, drummer... Carmine Appice first came to prominence as the percussionist with the late 1960s psychedelic band Vanilla Fudge. He contributed distinctive background harmonies with bassist Tim Bogert, adding to the group's high decibel sonic assault. After five albums, Appice and Bogert left Vanilla Fudge to form the blues rock quartet Cactus with vocalist Rusty Day and guitarist Jim McCarty. Eventually, Appice left Cactus with Bogert to join Jeff Beck in the power trio Beck, Bogert & Appice, and then later joined Rod Stewart's backing band in 1977, co-writing hit songs such as "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and "Young Turks". In 1978, Appice played drums on Paul Stanley's first solo album. He was a member of KGB featuring Ray Kennedy, Rick Grech, Mike Bloomfield and Barry Goldberg, and has recorded with Stanley Clarke, Ted Nugent, and Pink Floyd. He was the drummer for the bands King Kobra and Blue Murder, and toured with Ozzy Osbourne.
Appice first created Guitar Zeus in 1995 when he recruited some of the most famous guitarists in the world to be a part of his project, from Zakk Wylde and Ted Nugent to Brian May (Queen) and Slash (Guns N Roses), even tennis legend John McEnroe. Songs also included guest vocals by Dug Pinnick and Edgar Winter. Throughout the late 1990's, three Guitar Zeus CDs were released to worldwide critical acclaim.
"Guitar Zeus for me was an amazing experience, working with so many great guitarists", Appice affirms. "It was fun picking out songs for each. Each guitarist loved the songs. It was awesome. I would do it again in a minute even though it was alot of work. I consider these drum tracks to be some of my best drum performances in my career!"
1. Dislocated (featuring Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big)
2. This Time Around (Yngwie Malmsteen)
3, Safe (featuring Neal Schon from Journey)
4, Four Miles High (featuring Steve Morse from Sea Level & Deep Purple)
5. So Long (featuring Doug Aldrich from House of Lords, Lion, Whitesnake, Rod Stewart)
6. Black White House (featuring Brian May from Queen)
7. Guitar Zeus Part 1 (featuring Jennifer Batten from Michael Jackson)
8. Killing Time (featuring Ty Tabor from King's X)
9. Where You Belong (featuring Slash from Guns & Roses)
10. Days Are Nights (featuring Ted Nugent)
11. Time To Set Alarms (featuring Elliot Easton from the Cars)
12. Under The Moon & Sun (featuring Mick Mars from Motley Crue)
13. Guitar Zeus Part II (featuring Leslie West from Mountain)
1. Stash (with Stevie Salas from Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger)
2. Code 19 (with Zakk Wylde from Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society)
3. Perfect Day (with Warren DeMartini from Ratt)
4. Gonna Rain (with Richie Sambora from Bon Jovi)
5. Crusin' (with Denny Laine from Moody Blues & Wings)
6. Snake (with Bruce Kulick from Kiss and Meat Loaf)
7. Trippin' Again (with Ty Tabor from King's X)
8. Dead Wrong (with Dweezil Zappa)
9. Doin' Fine (with Vivian Campbell from Dio, Whitesnake & Def Leppard)
10. Where You Belong (with Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big)
11. GZ Blues (with Seymour Duncan and Steven Seagal)
Produced by Carmine Appice & Phil Kaffel for Bianic Music
Recorded by Phil Kaffel/Mike Wolfe
Mixed by Phil Kaffel & Pat Regan
All songs written by Carmine Appice & Kelly Keeling except "Stash" written by Appice, Keeling and Tony Franklin; "Where you Belong" written by Appice/Keeling/Franklin, and "Perfect Day" written by Appice/Keeling/Franklin.
Click here to read today's full Day in Rock report