80s Film Songs Revamped
For the album, Collin strove to redefine outmoded film songs into something that transcended studio technique. He made a point of choosing different singers than the ones who appeared on his previous records, finding the perfect complements to his 60s-tinged arrangements, his vintage keys, in a multinational group of vocalists, including Australia's Nadeah, Britain's – and former Morcheeba singer – Skye, the US's Juliette Lewis, Brazil's Cibelle, Denmark's Katrine Ottosen, and France and Israel's Yael Naim.
The results are simpler, but not simplified, versions of what once were generally mega-produced hits. In "A View To A Kill," for example, by John Barry – one of the Parisian's greatest influences – Collin sought to prove that indeed that 80s were not ones of drought for the famed composer. The original, a synth-heavy number originally performed by Duran Duran, is turned into a contemplative reflection by Skye. The same goes for Juliette Lewis's take on David Bowie's "This Is Not America," which Collin reworked as if it were recorded in the 70s – and ends up being the better for it – or Ennio Morricone's "It's Wrong For Me To Love You," which serves to remind listeners why indeed the Italian is considered one of the greatest film-scorers ever.
As with Nouvelle Vague, with Hollywood, Mon Amour, Marc Collin has successfully given these songs new life, new meaning. Where there was once a garish palette of squealing guitar solos and high-five vocals, he manages to find fragile colors and tender
melancholy. A true master producer and composer, he has coaxed out the melodies and placed them where they truly belong, in the end creating something that is truly memorable.
1. Call Me (Performed by Skye) from Ameican Gigolo
2. Eye of the Tiger (Performed by Katrine Ottosen) from Rocky III
3. When Doves Cry (Performed by Nadeah) from Purple Rain
4. Cat People Putting on Fire (Performed by Dea Li) from Cat People
5. A View to a Kill (Performed by Skye) from A View to a Kill
6. Flashdance What a Feeling (Performed by Yael Naim) from Flashdance
7. Footloose (Performed by Cibelle) from Footloose
8. This is Not American (Performed by Juliette Lewis) from The Falcon and the Snowman
9. Arthur's Theme Best that You Can Do (Perfromed by Nadeah) from Arthur
10. Reality (Performed by Nancy Danino) from La Boum
11. Forbidden Colours (Performed by Nadeah) from Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
12. For Your Eyes Only (Performed by Dea Li) from For Your Eyes Only
13. Dont you Forget About Me (Performed by Leelou) from The Breakfast Club
14. Take my Breath Away (Performed by Inga) from Top Gun
15. Together In Electric Dreams (Performed by Nadeah) from Electric Dreams
16. It's Wrong For Me to Love You (Performed by Bianca Calandra) from Butterfly
Click here to read today's full Day in Rock report