New Live DVD From Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin
This DVD, the first solo effort from Balin, was recorded on June 14, 2008 at the beautiful Hatch Shell in Boston. It features the tracks "Volunteers", "3/5ths of a Mile In Ten Seconds", "White Rabbit", "Somebody To Love" (with Didi Stewart on vocals for those Grace Slick classics), a version of Marty Balin singing "Somebody To Love" - the first time ever on a commercial release, "Today", "Summer Of Love" and his Jefferson Starship hits "Miracles", "Count On Me", "Runaway" as well as his 1980 solo hit "Hearts" and a cover of Bruce Cockburn's "Rocket Launcher".
It's the ultimate fan package featuring interview footage with original Jefferson Airplane lead singer Signe Anderson as well as the two authorities on all things Airplane/Starship, rock journalists Jeff Tamarkin and Craig Fenton.
OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST
---First Solo DVD of Marty Balin performing the majority of his hits without the Jefferson Airplane or Jefferson Starship
---Featuring drummer Donny Baldwin of Elvin Bishop Group ("Fooled Around & Fell In Love") and Starship ("Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now")
---audio mastering by Rob Fraboni, producer/engineer for The Rolling Stones, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys etc.
---Interview with Signe Anderson, original lead singer of The Jefferson Airplane before Grace Slick (when Grace was in "Great Society")
---Interview with Jeff Tamarkin, author of Got A Revolution (Tamarkin is well-known in Airplane circles as the person who wrote the liner notes on most of the Sony/BMG releases)
---Interview with Craig Fenton, author of Jefferson Airplane "Take Me To A Circus Tent" and Jefferson Starship "Have You Seen The Stars Tonite"
---a 50 minute interview with Marty Balin from 1995
---Practice footage from the 6/13/08 session .. the rehearsal at Newbury Media Recording Studios the day before the gig.
TRACK LISTING of Main Concert:
1) 3/5th of a Mile in 10 Seconds (Balin, Marty) 4:20
2) Runaway (Dewey, Nicholas) 3:35
3) Count On Me (Barish, Jesse) 4:38
4) Somebody To Love (Slick, Darby) 3:58
5) Miracles (Balin, Marty) 7:49
6) Hearts (Barish, Jesse) 8:56
7) White Rabbit (Slick, Grace) 3:02
8) Volunteers (Balin, Marty) 5:03
9)If I Had A Rocket Launcher (Cockburn, Bruce) 5:25
- A four page booklet packed with information
- A surprise "hello" from Dewey Bunnell of the group America
- "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" featuring former Kirshner/CBS recording artist Didi Stewart on lead vocals!
- Cover photo by Darby Gould, former lead singer of The Jefferson Starship
Click here to read today's full Day in Rock report