We decided to do something a little different this year for our 'Best of' roundup. Instead of a master list compiled of submissions from our contributors and writers, we wanted to give our writers a chance to pick their own Top 5 list of the best of the year in music. Over the next three weeks we will be unveiling our writers' picks for the best of 2004.
Every day we will be posting a new Top 5 list from one of our writers, selected at random. At the conclusion we will reveal the master list. We also want to let you take part and will be accepting nominations for a readers' choice list.
DeadSun's Top 5 of 2004.
1. Mastodon – Leviathan: An unbelievable sophomore effort. A metal menu that scores across the heavy boards, combining the likes of thrash, prog, death, and power. Strong-arming the listener with intense musicianship, and still exhibiting a raw, visceral feel--- this IS the metal album of 2004 to buy. (samples / buy cd)
2. Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine: Leaden guitar crunch and schizophrenic time changes, combined with an obsessive desire to cross-breed diverse genres puts "Miss Machine" at the top of the heavy heap. While some bands stick to cut and paste formulae, Dillinger Escape Plan nourishes heavy music with fresh innovation. (samples / buy cd | review)
3. Mclusky - The Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not On Fire: Stripped down, minimalist indie rock, washed over with snide and playful vocals. Punkattitude in a mid-tempo format. Doesn't succumb to the indie rock trap, and take itself too seriously. I salute these gents from Wales. I love this album. .(samples / buy cd)
4. Nasum – Shift: Heavier than Voltron's balls. Twenty-four cuts of the most blistering sonic anger that money can buy. If you have high blood pressure, or have a history of heart disease in your family, consult a physician before playing this album. Refined brutality at its finest. "Holy grindcore, Batman!" (samples / buy cd)
5. Einsturzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile: Veterans of a singularly unique mixture of industrial/ambient/experimental. Eclectic and calculated. An epiphany of cerebral soundscapes drawn from unconventional instruments, blended with spectacular lyrical imagery. Shines with warm artistic brilliance. (samples / buy cd)
Check back tomorrow when another member of the antiMusic staff checks in with their top 5 list.
Wait! Be sure to submit your
nominations for the Readers' Choice list.
...eBack to the special's homepage