To build Gillans Inn, Ian enlisted some of the biggest names from the past 30 years of rock history including Ronnie James Dio, Joe Elliot (Def Leppard), Janick Gers (Iron Maiden), Jeff Healy, Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Steve Morse, Johnny Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls), Uli John Roth (Scorpions), Joe Satriani and members of Deep Purple. He also brought Nick Blagona (The Police, Bee Gees, Chicago, Rainbow and Deep Purple) in to handle production duties. The result is undeniable fun, a romp through the hazy memories of youth, and a palpable reminder of the place Ian Gillan holds in rock n' roll history.
One of the true rock gods, Ian Gillan was the original Jesus Christ Superstar and co-wrote "Smoke on the Water" (one of the most popular songs of all time and usually one of the first songs an aspiring rock guitarist learns to play) among dozens of other hits. He has played to tens of millions of fans and sold over one hundred million records. But Gillan is also an author, a playwright, a screenwriter, a songwriter and a philosopher with a wicked sense of humor and a bit of the devil in his eye. Pavarotti has said he is a genius, and David Gilmour declared that as long as Gillan is singing, rock and roll is not dead.
The DualDisc offers the full album in CD format on one side, and in 5.1 surround sound on the other. The DVD portion of the disc also features incredible graphics where fans can select their favorite version of "Smoke on the Water" by clicking on a beer tap. Additional bonus items include behind the scenes studio footage shot while recording Gillans Inn (with Ian, John Lord, Ian Paice, Roger Glover, Joe Satriani, Ronnie James Dio, Michael Lee and Jeff Healy) and bootleg videos from live concerts such as 1983's Black Sabbath show in Montreal and a Deep Purple performance in Europe in 1994 (with Joe Satriani on guitar). Ian Gillan provides personal track-by-track commentary, and a bonus track, "Can I Get a Witness," is set to a photo montage. A special CD-ROM feature also enables fans to access another version of "Smoke On The Water."
GILLANS INN TRACK LISTING:
1. Unchain Your Brain featuring Joe Satriani
2. Bluesy Blue Sea featuring Janick Gers
3. Day Late And A Dollar Short featuring Uli Jon Roth and Ronnie James Dio
4. Hang Me Out To Dry featuring Joe Satriani
5. Men Of War featuring Steve Morse and Johnny Rzeznik
6. When A Blind Man Cries featuring Jeff Healey and Jon Lord
7. Sugar Plum featuring Roger Glover, and Ian Paice
8. Trashed featuring Tony Iommi, Roger Glover, and Ian Paice
9. No Worries featuring Michael Lee Jackson
10. Demon's Eye featuring Jeff Healey, Jon Lord and Michael Lee
11. Smoke On The Water featuring Steve Morse, Johnny Rzeznik, Ian Paice, Roger Glover and Jon Lord
12. No Laughing In Heaven featuring Roger Glover and Ian Paice
13. Speed King featuring Joe Satriani
14. Loving On Borrowed Time featuring Steve Morse and Uli Jon Roth
15. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight featuring Joe Elliot