Punk Rock Karaoke
Meanwhile, Punk Rock Karaoke fans will be able to join the band live at three west coast shows: Sunday, November 2 at The Roxy in Los Angeles, Monday, November 3 at Blue Lamp in Sacramento and Wednesday, November 5 at Thee Parkside in San Francisco.
"Punk Rock Karaoke is really an ultimate experience for the fans-they get to come up and perform some of the best songs ever written with our band," explains Hetson. "It's cool for us too since we get to be in the Sex Pistols, Black Flag and The Descendents: bands we didn't get to be in every night."
The Punk Rock Karaoke CD includes guest vocals from fellow punk luminaries Dave King (Flogging Molly), Dicky Barrett (The Mighty Mighty Bosstones), Jim Lindberg (Pennywise), Joey Cape (Lagwagon), Jordan Pundik (New Found Glory), Matt Skiba (Alkaline Trio), Mike Herrera (Mxpx), Sean Wheeler (Throw Rag), Spike Slawson (Swingin' Utters, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes) and Warren Fitzgerald (The Vandals). The full track listing is listed below.
Featuring 10 classic punk songs, the Punk Rock Karaoke DVD captures the magic of the live show. With fan-friendly vocal on/off options, fans can easily follow along to the lyrics as they appear on the screen and learn the songs by using the added vocal option to hear the songs with the guest singers. Taking it up a notch in hilarity, the Punk Rock Karaoke DVD videos spoof the traditional cheesy backgrounds often seen on most karaoke machines. Instead of couples holding hands on the beach or puppies jumping through flowerbeds, Punk Rock Karaoke has images of a couple romping in the back of a junkyard-parked pickup truck while guzzling 40s!
Presented in a unique style, the DVD package includes bonus features such as a meet-the-band interview with Soto, O'brien, Hetson and Melvin as well as spirited live performances of the band in action. Another bonus on the DVD is three live performances of the ultimate punk rock group in action--with multiple fans leading the way as the "lead singer"-- including Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown" and "Gimme Gimme Gimme," plus the Dead Kennedys' "California Über Alles."
"People come to karaoke to be the star of the show and for three minutes they can make it however they want," notes Melvin. "They can get up there, be real tight and get the lyrics right, or be real loose and have it be fun and entertaining."
Punk Rock Karaoke formed in '96 when Hetson and restaurant owner Fred Eric came up with the idea of a live karaoke band, specializing in classic punk rock. The band made its debut that New Year's Eve with L7's Jennifer Finch, Devo's Bob Mothersbaugh, the Circle Jerks' Lucky Lehrer and current mainstays Melvin and O'brien. From the NYE tradition grew club shows, shows on the Vans Warped Tour and more festival dates and tours. Punk Rock Karaoke has solidified its pre-1983 repertoire of 60 plus punk songs. Other special guests include: Marky Ramone, Brett Gurewitz, Dez Cadena, Mike Ness, Fat Mike, Kim Shattuck, Brandon Cruz, Brian Baker, the entire Descendents band and many more.
Join Punk Rock Karaoke Live In The Following Cities:
Date City Venue
Sun 11/2 Los Angeles, Ca The Roxy
Mon 11/3 Sacramento, Ca Blue Lamp
Wed 11/5 San Francisco, Ca Thee Parkside
Following is the full CD/DVD track listing for Punk Rock Karaoke:
1) Manny, Moe And Jack (Guest Singer Mike Herrera Of Mxpx; Originally By The Dickies)
2) Back Against The Wall (With Guest Singer Jim Lindberg Of Pennywise; Originally By The Circle Jerks)
3) Gimmie Gimmie Gimme (With Guest Singer Matt Skiba Of Alkaline Trio; Originally By Black Flag)
4) What Do I Get? (With Guest Singer Warren Fitzgerald Of The Vandals; Originally By The Buzzcocks)
5) ---- Armageddon...This Is Hell (Guest Singer Dave King Of Flogging Molly; Originally By Bad Religion)
6) Suspect Device (With Guest Singer Dicky Barrett Of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones; Originally By Stiff Little Fingers)
7) Minor Threat (With Guest Singer Jordan Pundik Of New Found Glory; Originally By Minor Threat)
8) Bikeage (Guest Singer Joey Cape Of Lagwagon; Originally By The Descendents)
9) Amoeba (With Guest Singer Spike Slawson Of Swingin' Utters & Me First & The Gimme Gimmes; Originally By The Adolescents)
10) California Über Alles (Guest Singer Sean Wheeler Of Throw Rag; Originally By Dead Kennedys)
Click here to read today's full Day in Rock report