Jimmie Vaughan Announces First New Album in Almost A Decade and New Tour Dates
Blues, Ballads and Favorites is exactly what the title describes, Vaughan's hand-picked favorites, including covers of songs by artists such as Little Richard, Jimmy Reed, Willie Nelson, Roy Milton, and Roscoe Gordon. Without any outside constraints, Vaughan was free to whittle down a list of favorite blues and R&B songs, ending up with a total of 13, each of which has special meaning to him.
Several tracks, including "Wheel Of Fortune" and Billy "The Kid" Emerson's "The Pleasure Is All Mine," feature a tight, funky horn section. Other highlights include Vaughan's own "Comin' & Goin'," a self-penned instrumental, and the Willie Nelson-penned "Funny (How Time Slips Away)," first popularized by soul singer Joe Hinton. Hammond B-3 organ master Bill Willisa veteran of the King Records hits of James Brown and Bill Doggetttakes over lead vocals on that one.
The album was produced by Vaughan and recorded in his hometown of Austin, Texas with his band, and features legendary blues singer Lou Ann Barton, who duets with Vaughan on Don & Dewey's "I'm Leaving It Up To You" and Little Richard's "Send Me Some Lovin'." Says Vaughan, "I go back with Lou Ann before the Thunderbirds. When we met she was 18 and sang a Little Richard medley and I never recovered. She was wild."
Vaughan's love affair with blues and rock 'n' roll goes back to his childhood in Dallas. Listening to R&B and blues on the radio, seeing Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show, watching his uncles pick country tunes on their guitars. Vaughan founded iconic The Fabulous Thunderbirds in 1974, becoming famous for the high-octane blues-rock formula that earned their music the tag "Blue Wave" in the media. Vaughan released a duets album with his brother, guitar virtuoso Stevie Ray Vaughan, in 1990, shortly before the latter's untimely death, before beginning his solo career.
Blues, Ballads and Favorites is Vaughan's fourth solo album. In the 9 years since his last release Vaughan has been busy: he married and had twins, and 2010 finds him as masterful on the guitar as ever.
Vaughan relishes the opportunity to pass these songs down to a new generation of blues fans. But mostly he just enjoys singing and playing these songs that have traveled with him throughout the decades. For Jimmie Vaughan music has always been about one thing: having a good ol' time. "It's 120% American and I just love it," he says. "It's fun."
BLUES, BALLADS AND FAVORITES TRACK LISTING:
1. The Pleasure's All Mine [Billy Emerson] (W. R. Emerson)
2. Come Love [Jimmy Reed] (Jimmy Reed)
3. I'm Leaving It Up To You [Don & Dewey/Dale & Grace/Freddy Fender] (Don "Sugarcane" Harris/Dewey Terry)
4. Comin' & Goin' (Jimmie Vaughan)
5. Wheel Of Fortune [LaVern Baker/Cardinals] (Bennie Benjamin/George David Weiss)
6. How Can You Be So Mean [Johnny Ace] (Johnny Ace)
7. Just A Little Bit [Roscoe Gordon/Roy Head] (Ralph Bass/Buster Brown/John Thornton/Fats Washington)
8. I Miss You So [Little Anthony & The Imperials/Orioles] (Jimmy Henderson/Sydney Robin/Bertha Scott)
9. RM Blues [Roy Milton] (Roy Milton)
10. Roll, Roll, Roll [Lonnie Brooks] (Lee Baker, Jr./ W. Lee Shuler)
11. Send Me Some Lovin' [Little Richard] (John Marascalco, Lloyd Price)
12. (She's Got The) Blues For Sale [Billy Eckstine] (Doc Pomus)
13. Funny How Time Slips Away [Joe Hinton/Al Green/Elvis Presley/Willie Nelson] (Willie Nelson)
JIMMIE VAUGHAN TOUR DATES
April 8 Satellite Beach, FL Lou's Blues
April 9 St. Petersburg, FL Tampa Bay Blues Festival
April 10 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Culture Room
April 11 Orlando, FL Plaza Theatre
April 23 Houston, TX Warehouse Live
April 24 Denton, TX Denton Arts and Jazz Festival
May 15 Bayshore, NY Bouton Center
May 16 Westerly, CT The Knickerbocker
May 17 Unionville, CT Infinity Hall
May 19 New York, NY BB Kings
May 20 Montclair, NJ Wellmont
May 21 Glenside, PA Keswick Theatre
May 23 Annapolis, MD Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival
June 1 - June 5 European Tour
June 18 St. Louis, MO Beale on Broadway
June 19 Aurora, IL Fox Festival
June 20 Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom
June 22 Lewiston, NY Artpark Show
June 24 Chicago, IL - Legends
June 26 Chicago, IL Toyota Arena Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival
July 2 July 24 European Tour
August 20 Edmonton, AB Canada Heritage Amphitheatre
October 16 Mansfield, TX Historic Mansfield Music Festival