Anniversary of Jeff Buckley's Disappearance

(Gibson) On this day in 1997, Jeff Buckley disappeared after talking a swim in the Mississippi River. His body was found on June 4, after being spotted by a passenger on a tourist riverboat. Gibson looks back:

In the mid-'90s, things were looking pretty good for Jeff Buckley. Although his 1994 debut album, Grace, hadn't been a blockbuster, it was a massive critical success. Up on the record's release, Buckley seemed to become the favorite newcomer for rock's elite, earning praises from Bono to Jimmy Page to David Bowie to Bob Dylan, who called him "one of the great songwriters of this decade."

While Buckley toured incessantly, his album eventually went gold in France and Australia and began to sell better in the U.S. as well. After two years of touring, in 1996, Buckley began working on his follow-up album in New York. As he was writing, he helped Patti Smith on her record, Gone Again, and met former Television guitarist Tom Verlaine who agreed to produce Buckley's next CD. In New York City, Buckley began testing out songs for the upcoming record (to be titled My Sweetheart, the Drunk) at live shows. Lou Reed attended one, and told Buckley he'd like to work with him in the future.

In '96 and early '97, Buckley and his band began laying down tracks with Verlaine producing, but Buckley wasn't happy with the results. He felt a change of scenery might be in order and moved to Memphis in February. The singer rented a shotgun shack in Memphis and planned to record at Easley McCain Recording.

Verlaine and Buckley's band soon joined him in Memphis to take another crack at some sessions, but the magic still wasn't there. Buckley called upon Grace producer Andy Wallace to replace Verlaine and sent his band back to New York while he continued to work on writing and demos in Memphis. In the meantime, Buckley continued to test out his new songs live, playing regular gigs at Barrister's, a downtown bar.

He sent his demos to his band, who were thrilled with the results and excited to begin work on the songs. Arrangements were made for the musicians to fly in on May 29, 1997. Sadly, the day would prove a tragic one and the band would never see Buckley alive again.

On this day in 1997, with his band scheduled to arrive in the evening, Buckley went out to dinner with friend and road manager Keith Foti. The two guys were heading to a rehearsal studio when, at about 9 p.m., the singer decided to go for a swim in Wolf River Harbor while wearing boots and all of his clothing. Apparently, this is something Buckley had done before. Legend has it that Buckley was singing "Whole Lotta Love" to himself and he jumped in. Foti watched from the shore. more on this story

Gibson.com is an official news provider for the antiMusic.com.
Copyright Gibson.com - Excerpted here with permission.

Jeff Buckley CDs, DVDs and MP3s

Jeff Buckley T-shirts and Posters

Share this article
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Pin it Share on Reddit email this article



Day In Rock Reports

Follow Us:

Contact Us - Privacy - antiMusic Email - Why we are antiMusic

Copyright© 1998 - 2018 Iconoclast Entertainment Group All rights reserved.

Please click here for legal restrictions and terms of use applicable to this site. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.