Les Paul Trio guitarist Lou Pallo has an assembled an all-star cast of musicians to join him on a special tribute CD/DVD to Les Paul entitled Thank You Les, which will be released on September 11th. Here is the official word:
The guest artists include guitarists Keith Richards, Billy F Gibbons, Steve Miller (who also penned the package's liner notes), Jose Feliciano, Slash, Johnny A, Bucky Pizzarelli, Arlen Roth, Nokie Edwards (The Ventures), Frank Vignola, Bob Leive, Tommy Doyle and Jon Paris, as well as singers Eddie Brigati, Jr. (The Young Rascals) Blondie Chaplin (Rolling Stones), Nicki Parrott (Les Paul Trio), Lexie Roth, Melinda Doolittle (finalist on "American Idol" season six) and members of the Les Paul Trio.
The 21 tracks, including many of Paul's personal favorites, were recorded organically on analog tape by Ben Elliott, Chief Engineer at Showplace Recording Studios. Thank You Les will be available as an individual CD and DVD, as well as in a combo package including both discs. The DVD documentary is a full-length, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the album, and is loaded with interviews, rare photos, musical performances and bonus features.
The musical thread that runs throughout the CD and the DVD film documentary is the relationship between Les Paul and his long-time friend and rhythm guitarist, New Jersey-based Lou Pallo, who many credit with helping Les Paul revitalize his career as a live performer after they first met in 1963 and soon after began performing together. It was Pallo who stood on stage with Les for his extended run of weekly performances in New York City starting in 1984, first at Fat Tuesday's in Greenwich Village for 10 years, and later at the Iridium on Broadway, which became the "hot ticket" destination for not only thousands of music fans, but also for any musician in town who wanted to tip their hat and worship at "The House that Les Paul Built."
"Les was my guitar idol and I was honored to work beside him and call him my friend for so many years," says Lou Pallo. "This tribute allows Les' musicianship and sense of humor to take center stage giving everyone the opportunity to experience the Les Paul we knew well and the music he adored."
In his loving remembrance of Les Paul in the package's liner notes, guitar great Steve Miller fondly recalls not only Les Paul the musician, but also the family friend (Les was Miller's Godfather) who spent part of his honeymoon with Mary Ford visiting at the Miller family's house in Wisconsin. "Even after becoming one of the most influential musicians and inventors of the 20th century, Les Paul always had time for everyone from Tony Bennett to Johnny Rotten and anyone in between," writes Miller. "He never judged you by how you looked or what kind of music you played, but by your character and your commitment to music. It's a tribute to the kind of human being Les was that he was always willing to share his spotlight with any musician brave enough to come forward to say hello."
"So, this album is a tribute to Les Paul, truly one of the most enjoyable and creative musicians to ever live. He was a modest man who always gave more than anyone I've ever known. It's a heartfelt thank you from just a few of his many friends for his wonderful music, inspiration and friendship."
Plans are in the works to celebrate Thank You Les with a CD/DVD release show in New York City featuring Lou Pallo and special guests.
Thank You Les Partial Recording Credits
1) Avalon featuring Frank Vignola guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
2) Mr. Day/Tell Me What's the Reason featuring Steve Miller - guitar and vocal;
Lou Pallo - guitar
3) Caravan featuring Nokie Edwards guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
4) Tennessee Waltz featuring Lou Pallo guitar; Nicki Parrott - bass and vocals
5) September Song featuring Billy F Gibbons guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
6) It's Been a Long, Long Time featuring Keith Richards - guitar and vocal; Lou Pallo - guitar and vocal
7) I'm Confessin' That I Love You featuring Eddie Brigati, Jr. vocal; Bucky Pizzarelli guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
8) Mister Sandman featuring Arlen Roth guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
9) Bιsame Mucho featuring Josι Feliciano - guitar, vocal, congas, shaker; Lou Pallo - guitar
10) Brazil featuring Frank Vignola guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
11) Vaya Con Dios featuring Lexie Roth vocals; Arlen Roth guitar; Frank Vignola guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
12) Deep in the Blues featuring Slash guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
13) Nature Boy featuring Steve Miller vocal; Lou Pallo - guitar
14) Memories of You featuring Tommy Doyle guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
15) Smile featuring Blondie Chaplin vocal; Lou Pallo - guitar
16) Carioca featuring Frank Vignola guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
17) Just One More Chance featuring Bucky Pizzarelli guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
18) St. Louis Blues featuring Jon Paris - vocal, slide guitar, harmonica; Lou Pallo - guitar
19) Sweet Georgia Brown featuring Johnny A guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
20) Out of Nowhere featuring Nokie Edwards guitar; Lou Pallo - guitar
21) Over the Rainbow featuring Melinda Doolittle vocal; Lou Pallo guitar